Hazardous Materials Specialist Training
Burress Advisory Group offers training programs to those individuals whose employers have determined to need Hazardous Materials Specialist level training.
OSHA Requirements for This Training Level
According to OSHA, these individuals are “individuals who respond with and provide support to hazardous materials technicians. Their duties parallel those of the hazardous materials technician, however, those duties require a more directed or specific knowledge of the various substances they may be called upon to contain. The hazardous materials specialist would also act as the site liaison with Federal, state, local and other government authorities in regards to site activities.
Hazardous materials specialists shall have competency in the following areas and the employer shall so certify:
- • Know how to implement the local emergency response plan.
- • Understand classification, identification and verification of known and unknown materials by using advanced survey instruments and equipment.
- • Know the state emergency response plan.
- • Be able to select and use proper specialized chemical personal protective equipment provided to the hazardous materials specialist.
- • Understand in-depth hazard and risk techniques.
- • Be able to perform specialized control, containment, and/or confinement operations within the capabilities of the resources and personal protective equipment available.
- • Be able to determine and implement decontamination procedures.
- • Have the ability to develop a site safety and control plan.
- • Understand chemical, radiological and toxicological terminology and behavior.
These courses shall meet or exceed all requirements of 29CFR1910.120(q)(6)(iv) and NFPA 472.”